Monday, August 24, 2015

Are you between the ages of 55 and 65?

I know I am. Per Ken Dychtwald, an expert on baby boomers and aging:
The highest amount of entrepreneurialism in the last 10 years in America has gone on for people between the ages of 55 and 65. 
And why is that? It's because retirement doesn't mean the same today as it did when our parents and grandparents retired. Retirement is now a time to reinvent yourself.

Again from Ken Dychtwald:
I’m going to oversimplify. We found there were four different types of retirees. The first group we call the ageless explorers. They were youthful, empowered, and optimistic. By the way, they loved the stage of their life. They called it energetic, powerful, exciting, vibrant, like that. They love the freedom they have. They want to keep learning. They want to keep growing. Get this. Seventy percent of them are working. I know this is going to sound really like Dychtwald is twisting the truth here, but the happiest retirees are working. They may not be working full time. They may not be burning themselves out. They still have their hands in the game. 
There’s another group. My mom and dad would be in this category. We call them the comfortably contents. They refer to them as seniors. The first group doesn’t. They’re living their golden years. They think of themselves as being on a vacation. They’ve earned it. This is their time. We say to them, “Would you like to volunteer at the church, synagogue, or mosque?” “Nah.” “Would you like to go back to school?” “I don’t know. Maybe. I’m having so much fun playing cards, and traveling. It’s great.” They want to be free of responsibilities. They’re on a vacation. 
Let me keep going. The third group is called the live-for-todays. They’re a pretty interesting bunch. They’re bright. They’re fun. They’re adventuresome. They’ve had active lives. Well educated. What’s the problem? They were living in the today, in the here and now, so they don’t have any money, and they don’t have any idea what they ought to be doing with their lives. 
It’s one thing for the ageless explorers to work because they like to. These people are working because they have to. That’s not as much fun. It’s a total difference. “I’m going to get up and do some things this week because I love it,” versus, “I have to go bag groceries at Kroger’s.”
The largest group are the sick and tireds. There are people who reach their later years and are done, but their bodies keep going. “Do you want to play with the grandchildren?” “No, I don’t feel like I’ve got the energy.” “Would you like to learn how to use the computer?” “No. That new-fangled technology is not for me.” “ Do you want to go exercise? Come on. You’ll feel better.” “ No, I don’t feel like it.” 
Which group are you? I've kind of been stuck in the third and fourth group, but I'm working my way to the first group, although a little comfortably content might be nice from time to time.

I think the growing number of entrepreneurs in this age group are because of the ageless explorers and the live-for-todays...either because they want to work or they need to work.

Which is why I've started my own business, so I can work because I want to and not because I have to. And the reason I started a network marketing business is that my business can still grow even if I take a break from it and relax for a while.

Interesting days


Today - Vesuvius Day, International Strange Music Day, Pluto Demoted Day and Knife Day What is considered strange music?

Tomorrow - Kiss And Make Up Day and Whisky Sour Day Let's have a fight so we can kiss and make up. A whiskey sour sounds good (I think...I've never had one), but I have to work tonight

Next Monday  - We Love Memoirs Day and Love Litigating Lawyers Day I can honestly say that I love them both equally. And it's Trail Mix Day I can also honestly say that I love trail mix more than the other two

September 24 - Cherries Jubilee Day I've never had cherries jubilee, although I was in England for the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1976...does that count? It's also Punctuation Day

I'm glad I'm not related to her!


No comments:

Post a Comment