Thursday, March 9, 2017

Do the (side) hustle #TBT

This week's throwback blog post is from last year:



The side hustle, the side gig, the side business...why you should start one.

From Careful Cents:

Why Everyone Should Have a Freelance Side Hustle

 
 
When I talk to my friends and family about my side hustles, I always get the same reaction. “Why not just use your free time to relax and take it easy?”
I’m the type of person that gets bored easily and needs to be doing something productive with my time. Trust me, I know how to relax and I do spend time watching TV, traveling, reading books and enjoying life.
Time is a precious commodity and once you’ve lost it, you can never get it back. So, instead of squandering my time, I channel my efforts into a few hobbies and advancing my freelancing career.
My side gigs don’t even feel like work, because I’m choosing projects and jobs I’m passionate about. I view it as getting paid to do work I love, instead of working to get paid.
That’s why I believe everyone should have a side job or freelance gig. It gives you the opportunity to express yourself (and your finances) in a whole different way than what a traditional job provides.
Or this from Ask the Money Coach:

Why You Should Make This The Year of Your Side Gig

If making more money and having more freedom are on your list of goals this year, you might want to try a new job – creating your own job, that is.

Too many Americans get held back financially because they’re tied to dead-end jobs that don’t give people what they want: not enough money, not enough freedom, not enough appreciation, and certainly not enough career satisfaction.

So instead of griping about your boss, your crazy colleagues, or your mad work hours, why not consider doing something different in the New Year? Don’t just complain about a job that doesn’t suit you. Change it already!

Or at least get a side-hustle – an entrepreneurial gig that you can operate even if you want to keep your day job.

For inspiration in getting started, check out a great new book called The Economy of You: Discover Your Inner Entrepreneur and Recession-Proof Your Life.

Written by Kimberly Palmer, the senior money editor and Alpha Consumer blogger for U.S. News & World Report, The Economy of You starts by making a fantastic case for why everyone should have a side gig.

In a nutshell, Palmer argues that, in today’s economy, you can boost your financial well-being, diversify your income streams, and do something you love — all by becoming a “side-gigger.” Those with “side gigs” typically fit into one of two categories:

  1. Those who hold down full-time jobs, and then use “side gigs” as a way to add to their income or pursue a passion; or
  1. Those whose perform one or more freelance-type jobs, using side gigs as their sole or dominant means of financial support
There are many types of side gigs available: you can turn a hobby into a business, drive for Uber,  join a network marketing or direct sales company...my mom sold Avon throughout most of my childhood.

Interesting days



Next Thursday - Freedom Of Information DayPanda DayLips Appreciation Day and No Selfies Day


April 9 - Cherish An Antique DayName Yourself Day (Make sure you hang onto a blank name tag from Name Tag Day...see above) and Winston Churchill Day


2 comments: