Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Golden eggs

Today's blog post is a continuation of yesterday's post about finding your ideal customer (or client...see this post about the difference).

My friend, Mark Herdering, wrote a book called "Hanging Out for a Living" and in it he talks about your ideal customer (client) being like a golden egg. When you find a golden egg, you're very happy! But, what if you can figure out where they come from? You want to find the goose that lays the golden egg. In the book, Mark defines the goose as the person (or entity), who by nature of what they do, has a network of your ideal customers.

But what does that mean? Let's take our realtor example from yesterday. Let's say that I'm a realtor and my ideal client is someone who's around my age...someone who is an empty nester and looking to downsize. That person is my golden egg. I can go around and try to meet them on my own. Or I can find the goose, someone who has a network of people who may be looking to downsize their home. So, who would these geese be? They would be people like retirement planners, college financial planners (remember we want people whose last kid has started college), senior centers, etc...people (or entities) that already have my ideal client as one of their clients.

Or in my SendOutCards business, if I decide my ideal client is a realtor, then I will look for people who have realtors as customers...such as mortgage lenders, title agents, real estate attorneys, etc. Hopefully, that gives you an idea of how to find the goose that lays the golden eggs. For a better introduction to the subject, plus a lot more on how to network effectively, read the book. If you liked "The Richest Man in Babylon", you'll love "Hanging Out for a Living". Both books use parables to teach their lessons...personal finance in "Richest Man" and networking in "Hanging Out". But there's more! There's also what Mark calls a "granny goose" but you'll have to read the book to find out more!

Interesting days


Today - Eat a Hoagie Day and Cream Filled Donut Day



October 14 - World Egg Day and Be Bald And Free Day Since I grew a beard to celebrate World Beard Day, should I shave my head to celebrate this?

No comments:

Post a Comment