Thursday, April 7, 2016

Junk vs stuff

Years ago, probably in the late 60's or early 70's, I read in Reader's Digest the following "Junk is the stuff you throw away...stuff is the junk you keep". I thought it was an interesting idea and it's stayed with me over the years. I thought it was a clever play on words, but more importantly it was an observation on perspective...much like "One man's junk is another man's treasure". Those things that we value we keep. Those we don't, we throw away or give away (or sell at a garage sale). But maybe we should take a look at our stuff from time to time and see if we still value it...if not, maybe it's time to give it a new home.

I've read a book called "The Easy Way to Organize" by Jewels Muller. It's a really good book and very appropriate too. I have some boxes in my spare bedroom that I haven't opened since I moved out of my last apartment a year and a half ago, plus some stuff that has been in boxes since I moved out of the house four years ago. It's now time to go though everything I own and see which stuff is still stuff and which is now junk. Jewels recommends creating different stacks...stuff to keep and stuff to sell, donate or throw away. I know this isn't a radical idea, but the book is an easy read and very handy.

So, this weekend I need to go through my stuff and find my W-2 from my UPS job so I can finish my taxes. After that I can finish de-junking my stuff.

Interesting days


Today - World Health DayTell A Lie DayBeaver Day and  No Housework Day OK, maybe today isn't a good day to begin going through my stuff. But I, at least, have to find my W-2, so I can finish my taxes

Tomorrow - Zoo Lovers Day and Draw a Picture of a Bird Day 

Next Thursday - Look Up at the Sky Day

May 7 - Roast Leg of Lamb DayJoin Hands Day and Free Comic Book Day Get your free comic book here


No comments:

Post a Comment