Monday, January 29, 2018

Tinnitus

What the heck is tinnitus? According to the Mayo Clinic:
Tinnitus (TIN-ih-tus) is the perception of noise or ringing in the ears. A common problem, tinnitus affects about 1 in 5 people. Tinnitus isn't a condition itself — it's a symptom of an underlying condition, such as age-related hearing loss, ear injury or a circulatory system disorder.
OK, you've heard of ringing in the ears, but why am I writing about it? I've had it pretty much non-stop for just over ten years. It's gone away twice but never for more than a day, although sometimes it's not too noticeable. My tinnitus is a constant high pitch squealing in both ears.
The phantom noise may vary in pitch from a low roar to a high squeal, and you may hear it in one or both ears. In some cases, the sound can be so loud it can interfere with your ability to concentrate or hear actual sound. 
That's one of the biggest problems for me...unless you speak louder than the ringing in my ears, I can't really hear you.

Mine started about a week after I completed the Triathlon at Pacific Grove. I wasn't sure what caused it...I thought maybe it was the cold water or exertion since I'd heard that exertion can also cause it. I went to the audiologist when it hadn't gone away after a few months. She said it likely wasn't the water and that I'd just have to learn to live with it. Sigh!

There are ways to reduce the tinnitus, although it might not ever go away:
  • Learn what makes tinnitus worse for you.
  • Kick the habit, if you smoke.
  • Add soothing sounds to silence.
  • Plan time to relax every day.
  • Get enough sleep.
  • Exercise at least three to five times a week.
  • Treat other health problems.
  • Get used to tinnitus.
There are certain foods that tend to make mine worse. It also will get better if I relax. I've also have had problems with ear wax buildup since I was a kid.

So, I guess it's time to start walking again and doing yoga before bed. I'll see if that helps. I also have some drops to clean out my ears...I can try them too. Hopefully, I can follow up with this post and have some good news for you.

Interesting days


Today - Puzzle DayBubble Wrap Appreciation DayFreethinkers Day, Cornchip DayCurmudgeons Day and Blue Monday

Tomorrow - Inane Answering Message Day and Croissant Day

Next Monday - Weatherman’s DayWorld Nutella DayChocolate Fondue Day and Western Monarch Day

February 29 - No Leap Year this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment