Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Blog post repeat

Since UPS and AT&T are keeping me busy all day (and night), I'm taking a day off from blogging and repeating a blog from just about this time last year.

The 4 Levels of Competence


In his book "Promptings" Kody Bateman talks about being a Level 4 Card Sender, but what does that mean?

There are 4 Levels of Competence:



1. Unconscious Incompetence: You don't know that you don't know
2. Conscious Incompetence: You know that you don't know
3. Conscious Competence: You know that you know
4. Unconscious Competence: You don't know that you know

So for Kody being a Level 4 Card Sender means that he doesn't have to think about sending cards, he just does it. He also talks about being a Level 4 at tying shoes (bunny ear method, but only a Level 3 at the "standard" method).

For shoe tying it's fairly easy to see the levels:

1. You're really young and have no awareness of your shoes being tied.
2. You know somebody is tying your shoes for you.
3. You learn to tie your own shoes, but it takes intense concentration.
4. You can tie your shoes without thinking about it.

When I was a Level 3 at shoe tying, I figured out a way to be able to wear my favorite cowboy shirt every day…I would only tie my shoes if I got to wear my shirt. However, my shirt ended up in the garbage and I still had to tie my shoes every day.


Look at all the things you do in your life and decide what level you are and then decide if that's the level you want to be at.

 

The Johari Window


Loosely related to the 4 Levels of Competence is the Johari Window, but instead of measuring skills it measures characteristics. Again there are conscious and unconscious attributes but they refer to self and others.


You pick 5-6 adjectives from a list that you feel best describe you and you get others to do the same for themselves as well as for you.


Here is an online example that I've started for myself. You can go and pick the 5-6 words that you think best describe me. http://kevan.org/jh/ricktompkins

Interesting days


Today - International Anti-Corruption Day and Techno Day

Tomorrow - Human Rights Day

Next Wednesday -  Day Of Reconciliation and Chocolate Covered Anything Day

January 9 - Apricot DayPlay God Day and Static Electricity Day




No comments:

Post a Comment