Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Ramble in the Bronx

OK, San Ramon isn't anywhere close to being the Bronx, but I will be rambling. I do have some things I want to talk about but I have to wait until next week.

For those of you who have no idea where this title came from, it's loosely based on "Rumble in the Bronx" with Jackie Chan.

Since I'm rambling let's begin with why is the Bronx called the Bronx? Why not just Bronx? They don't say the Manhattan or the Brooklyn. According to Wikipedia:

Use of definite article

The Bronx is referred to, both legally[23] and colloquially,[24] with the definite article "the", as "the Bronx". The County of Bronx, unlike the coextensive Borough of the Bronx, does not place "the" immediately before "Bronx" in formal references, nor does the United States Postal Service in its database of Bronx addresses.[25] The name for this region, apparently after the Bronx River, first appeared in the "Annexed District of the Bronx" created in 1874 out of part of Westchester County and was continued in the "Borough of the Bronx", which included a larger annexation from Westchester County in 1898. The use of the definite article is attributed to the style of referring to rivers.[26][27] Another explanation for the use of the definite article in the borough's name is that the original form of the name was a possessive or collective one referring to the family, as in visiting "The Broncks", "The Bronck's" or "The Broncks"'.[28]
The capitalization of the Bronx's name is sometimes disputed. Generally the definite article is lowercased in place names (e.g. "the Bronx"), except in official references to the borough; at the beginning of a sentence; or in any other situation when a normally-lowercase word would be capitalized (e.g. "The Bronx").[29] However, some people and groups, such as Lloyd Ultan, a Bronx County Historical Society historian, and the Great and Glorious Grand Army of The Bronx, a Bronx-based organization, refer to the borough with a capital letter at all times, since these people say that the definite article is part of the proper name.[30][31] In particular, the Great and Glorious Grand Army of The Bronx is leading efforts to try to make the city refer to the borough with an uppercase definite article at all mentions, comparing the grammatical lowercasing of the Bronx's name to "not capitalizing the 's' in 'Staten Island.'"[31]
It's been and will be a busy week this week. I've gotten up early on Monday and Tuesday, I'll also get up early today for business meetings. Tomorrow I don't have anything planned. Friday I have to take my car into the shop early because it failed the smog test. I need to get it done ASAP because my registration expired in August. I've paid for it but it's incomplete until I pass the smog test.

And Saturday I have to take it to Les Schwab to get new struts put on. And on Sunday I get to rest...at least until it's time to go to work again.

SendOutCards is having a contest for all distributors and the prize is a trip to Cancun! I went to Cancun with the family probably about 11 years ago. I had a good time, but they don't like to travel and I think a lot of it was wasted on them, although we did do a couple of fun things...we swam with the dolphins and we went on Captain Hook's Pirate Cruise. The hotel we had stayed at just opened the previous month so we were able to get a great rate as they were still working out the kinks.

SendOutCards is offering a 5 day, 4 night stay for two at the Paradisus Cancun Resort plus up to an additional $800 for airfare! All we have to do is sell bundles or have distributors in our organization upgrade to Manager and we will earn points. 18 points will pay for 25% of the trip up to 108 points will pay for 150% of the trip (which is the $800 that can be used for airfare). If anyone would like to find out how you can help me earn the trip, or to find out how you can become a distributor and earn the trip for yourself, just send me an email.

I'm done rambling for now.

Interesting days


Today - World Arthritis DayEmergency Nurses DayTake Your Parents To Lunch DayOld Farmers DayBring Your Teddy Bear To Work & School Day and Pet Obesity Awareness Day

Tomorrow - World Sight Day and No Bra Day

Next Wednesday - Hagfish DayGlobal Dignity Day and Evaluate Your Life Day 

November 12 - Fancy Rat & Mouse Day, World Quality Day and  Pizza With The Works Except Anchovies Day which is just the way I like my pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment