Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Facebook Live vs Periscope

I finally tried out Facebook Live this past Friday. I haven't decided yet whether I like it better but I'll do a comparison of what I do know about the differences.

First, I had quite a bit more engagement with FB Live both during and after the broadcast. With Periscope I usually had just 3 or 4 random people view and there was always that one guy. If you've ever used Periscope, you'll know what I'm talking about. For those of you who aren't familiar, here's a definition of Troll (from Wikipedia):
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl//ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.
They'll usually say something rude or offensive, and usually sexual towards the women. Almost every Periscope I've done, or seen, has had at least one troll. These are childish jerks who enjoy annoying other people. So far, I haven't seen any trolls on FB Live...I'm not saying they're not out there but I haven't seen any yet. I think part of the reason is that Periscope is more open...anybody can look at a 'scope anywhere in the world but with Live, it's much more likely that it'll be seen by people that you know. Another thing about Live is that the comments that are posted during the broadcast will appear as comments below the video, just like comments on a normal post. Here's an example from the FB Live I did on Friday.

As for saving the video onto your phone and then uploading to YouTube, Periscope is pretty easy, it has an option you can set. Apparently, this isn't easy to do from Facebook Live. I'll look into it some more, but from what I've seen you need to go to the website and do all sorts of gymnastics to save the video.

One of the early drawbacks to Periscope was that the videos only existed for 24 hours but that's been changed. The default is for the video to last forever, but you can change it to last only 24 hours.

From what I've read, Facebook Live is better for for re-targeting your audience, which you can read about here. Also, FB Live offers all the ways of interacting...Like, Love, Haha, etc...while for now Periscope only offers hearts.

I'll probably continue using Periscope for most of my broadcasting, but I'll also continue dabbling with Facebook Live.

Interesting days


November - Manatee Awareness MonthPomegranate MonthWorld Vegan MonthPeanut Butter Lovers' Month and Novel Writing Month

Today - Native American Heritage MonthGo Cook For Your Pets DayAuthors' DayExtra Mile Day and World Vegan Day

Tomorrow - Deviled Egg Day and Stress Awareness Day

Next Tuesday - Cook Something Bold and Pungent Day and X-Ray Day 

December - Operation Santa PawsWrite a Business Plan MonthHuman Rights Month and Tie Month 

December 1 - Day Without Art Day and Eat A Red Apple Day 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment