Tuesday, July 28, 2020

More on personality types

I haven't written about this subject in a while. I received an email from Personality Junkie and figured it was time to talk about it again!

If you don't know what your MBTI type is, take this quiz. And if you don't even know what MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) means, then check this out.

The MBTI is made up of a four letter code, such as INTP (which is my personality type):

We'll start with the middle two letters first, N & T.

N, along with S, are the two perceiving functions or the way you take in information:

N is the abbreviation for i(N)uition, while S is the abbreviation for (S)ensing (the abbreviation I is used for something else).
The currency of Intuition is abstract information, that is, information not available through the five primary senses. Intuitives are drawn to ideas, patterns, theories, fantasies, hypotheticals, and/ or possibilities.
While S types:
Sensing types, by contrast, are generally more practical and “down-to-earth.” They are more at home discussing and partaking in everyday affairs. While Intuitives can spend a lot of time reflecting on and contemplating life, Sensors are more content to simply live it. They are typically task-oriented, doing what they need to do without over-analyzing things.
One way to think of the difference is that S types "will believe it when they see it", while N types will   "see it when they believe it".

I love this quote from Bobby Kennedy:


Which is how I picture the difference...S's are the first type and N's are the second type.

The T (and F) are the judging functions, which filter the information you receive via your N or S functions:
The Thinking-Feeling dimension is the only dichotomy where gender seems to play a role, with men typing more often as Thinkers and women as Feelers. And since this is Typology 101, we will keep our description of this dichotomy fairly concise. 
Approximately two-thirds of men are Thinkers, while about two-thirds of women are Feelers.
Thinkers can be understood as preferring “head over heart,” logic over feelings. They are less immediately concerned with the needs of others, focusing more on pursuing their own interests and objectives. 
Feelers, by contrast, are more in touch with their feelings and emotions. They are generally more caring and compassionate with respect to other people. It’s not that Thinkers don’t feel or Feelers don’t think, but only that they differ in the degree to which they lead with impersonal logic (T) versus feelings and values (F).
Thinkers are more apt to say "I think this is the best option" Or "I think this is a bad idea". While Feelers are more likely to say "I feel this is the best option" Or "I feel this is a bad idea".

Next. we'll look at the fourth letter, (P in my case), while J is the other letter in the pair:
The Judging-Perceiving dimension is a little more difficult and can be more confusing than the other dichotomies. For now, what is most important to know is that J-P refers primarily to outward behavior and attitudes. In other words, it does not involve how you see or understand yourself from the inside, but how others might see and characterize you from the outside. You may even want to ask others how they see you to help you clarify your J-P preference.
Which in general means:
P-types are outwardly receptive and adaptable. They are less apt to readily declare their opinions or impose their will on others. Consequently, they are, rightly or not, often perceived as good listeners and non-judgmental in their attitude toward others. 
J-types are outwardly firm, direct, opinionated, and decisive. They are more inclined than P-types to directly declare their views or wishes. Others may turn to the outer strength of J-types in situations requiring a firm decision or conclusion.
So, my perceiving function (N) is more visible to others, so we say that's my extraverted function, which is abbreviated Ne. Which makes thinking my introverted function, Ti.

Now, we look at the first lettter which tells whether your introverted or extraverted function is your dominant, or most naturally used, function. Since I'm an I type, my Ti (introverted thinking) is my dominant function. And that makes your other function your secondary function...in my case that would be extraverted intuition (Ne).

We now have half of the functional stack. Our third, or tertiary, function is the opposite of the secondary function...in my case Ne is my secondary function so Si (introverted sensing) is my tertiary function, since Intuition and Sensing are the two perceiving functions.

And our fourth function, or inferior function, is the opposite of our dominant function, or in my case Fe or extraverted feeling. And if you know me, you know I have a hard time sharing my feelings. Which, I think, explains why I was drawn to SendOutCards...to make it easier for me to share my feelings.

Each of us is made up of a combination of four of the eight different functions. Here is a good overview of the 8 functions.

After you take the quiz, look here to find out more about your specific personality type.

Here's an excerpt from the INTP type:
The INTP personality type is the most independent and philosophical of the 16 types. INTPs have a deep need for personal autonomy and independence of thought. While they may not discover their intellectual side quite as early as an INTJ might, once their auxiliary function, Extraverted Intuition (Ne), has been fully awakened, they display an insatiable appetite for ideation and theorizing. Many enjoy exploring unifying theories and metaphysical truths that explain the underlying nature of things. Toward this end, they may devour stacks of books on philosophy, religion, psychology, evolutionary theory, and the like.
I'd love to find out what your MBTI type is...let me know.

Interesting days



Tomorrow - International Chicken Wing DayInternational Tiger DayRain DayLipstick Day and Lasagna Day

Next Tuesday - Coast Guard DayInternational Clouded Leopard DaySingle Working Women’s DayAssistance Dog Day and Night Out

August 28 - Bow Tie DayDaffodil DayCherry Turnover DayCrackers Over The Keyboard DayRainbow Bridge Remembrance DayRadio Commercials Day and Race Your Mouse Around The Icons Day


No comments:

Post a Comment