Wednesday, April 15, 2020

How To Get Great Sleep While You’re Stuck at Home

Today's blog post is based on a blog post by Dr. Michael Breus.
If I had one thing to tell everyone while stuck at home due to the coronavirus, it would be this: don’t let your new, abnormal schedule ruin your sleep. 
Of course, that’s easier said than done right now. With millions of Americans suddenly finding themselves either working from home or looking for a new job during this downturn, our lives are very different at the beginning of April compared to the beginning of March. 
Right now, about 9 out of 10 Americans are living under a stay-at-home order from their state or local government. Add in the fact that the news is constantly focused on the latest COVID-19 developments, and it’s easy to see why people are stressed out. 
Another problem is there’s simply less to do currently, and people are looking to fill that void with less-than-ideal health choices. Alcohol consumption has increased more than 50%, weed sales have soared, time spent streaming TV has spiked, and, with gyms shut down, people are exercising less. Keeping that in mind, it’s imperative we don’t let our sleep patterns take a hit as well. 
Good sleep helps regulate mood, increases productivity, and gives our immune systems a much-needed boost. (And speaking of immunity, I’m a huge fan of Pique Tea crystals. They’re antioxidant-infused, which helps support immune function, and they taste great. That’s a great combo to me.) If we’re going to be stuck at home, we might as well make sure we’re well-rested. It’ll pay dividends once we’re back to something resembling normal day-to-day life.
I'm actually sleeping more now than I was before, since my work day has been cut from 15 hours to 8 hours, now that I don't have to commute anymore. Although, I had already started slipping in the diet and fitness categories!
Here are a few tips on how to get great sleep, even as we collectively deal with the coronavirus pandemic. 
  • Stick to Your Sleep Schedule
  • Expose Yourself to Natural Light
  • Exercise
  • Limit Stress
  • When It Comes to Your Bedroom, Comfort Is Key
I'm doing fairly well with most of these. I'm trying to stick with a regular sleep schedule, except I have meetings on Fridays and Saturdays, although I may be able to adjust my schedule closer to normal on Friday. I'm out the door and walking about 20 minutes after I get up. I can still do more walking but it's picking up from where it has been.

Check out the original blog post for more details.

Interesting days



Tomorrow - Wear Your Pajamas To Work DayHigh Five DaySave The Elephant DayEggs Benedict Day and College Student Grief Awareness Day

Next Wednesday - World Stationery DayEarth DayJelly Bean DayBookmobile Day and Administrative Professionals Day

Week long celebrations:
Apr 20 - Apr 26: Stationery Week
May 15 - Chocolate Chip DayBike To Work DayBring Flowers To Someone DayWorld Facilities Management DayVascular Birthmarks Awareness DayShades DayNylon Stockings DayVirtual Assistants DayPizza Party DayEndangered Species Day and Straw Hat Day

No comments:

Post a Comment