Wednesday, May 29, 2019

7 Reasons You Should Still Keep a Paper Map in Your Glovebox

Since this week is Map Reading Week, it seemed like a good time to share this article from The Art of Manliness:
Ever since Google Maps launched its app in 2008, I’ve been using GPS to get around town, and across the country. For a decade, a digital voice from my phone has led me, turn-by-turn, in cities I’m not familiar with and even cities I’ve lived in for years.
But during the past year or so, I’ve become uncomfortable with my reliance on GPS for a variety of reasons. 
So I bought a paper map of my fair city of Tulsa, as well as a road atlas of the United States. (Apparently, I’m not alone in this; sales of the classic Rand McNally Road Atlas have, counterintuitively, been rising in the last several years). And I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it’s been to use old-fashioned maps to get around town, and country. In fact, I’ve gone to using “analog” maps as my primary method of navigation, only relying on Google Maps as a back-up. 
Here’s why I’ve made this navigational switch, and 7 reasons — from the practical to the philosophical — why you might consider putting a paper map back in your glovebox too:
Do you remember buying maps at the gas station? I'm not even sure if they're still available there anymore.

Anyway, here are the 7 reasons:
  1. Paper maps never lose power or wireless signal.
  2. Paper maps are safer and less distracting than GPS.
  3. Paper maps can get you to your destination faster than GPS.
  4. Paper maps create indelible mental maps.
  5. Paper maps provide a more detailed, expansive, big-picture lay of the land.
  6. Paper maps make you an active, autonomous participant in the skill and art of navigation.
  7. Emerging Reason: Paper maps may help stave off dementia, improve your memory, and enhance your ability to imagine the future.
Be sure to read the article to find out more about the 7 reasons.

And if you really want to get into map reading, you might want to consider orienteering.

Interesting days



Tomorrow - Loomis DayWater a Flower Day and Mint Julep Day

Week long celebrations:
May 27 - Jun 3: Map Reading Week
Next Wednesday - Sausage Roll DayRunning DayWorld Environment DayHot Air Balloon DayMoonshine Day and HIV Long-Term Survivors Day

June 29 - Waffle Iron DayCamera DayCream Tea DayAlmond Buttercrunch DayInternational Mud Day and Armed Forces Day


No comments:

Post a Comment